ALEI provides education and resources to Maryland farmers on food safety liability, Maryland Good Agricultural and Handling Practices, and the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
ALEI educates the agricultural community about the network of laws and policies which apply to and affect the food system. With the recent finalization of the implementing regulations of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), Maryland’s farmers are facing new federal food safety standards which affect produce growers and the processing of farm products. ALEI Legal Specialists Sarah Everhart and Ashley Ellixson have addressed FSMA compliance in webinars, posts on the Maryland Risk Management Education Blog, and in educational workshops in conjunction with experts from the University of Maryland, College Park and the University of Maryland Extension. ALEI plans to continue its efforts to educate Maryland’s farmers on the best way to maintain compliance with the FSMA and Maryland’s Good Agricultural and Handling Practices.
In an effort to eliminate misunderstanding, the ALEI Legal Specialists teach farmers about civil and criminal liability stemming from food-borne illness outbreaks and the associated defense that may be asserted in such cases. ALEI advocates for proactively planning for food safety and food recalls. The goal of preventive food safety planning is to identify and address risks to strengthen individual farming operations and by extension, the entire agricultural food network.
If you are subject to FSMA or are interested in attending a food safety training, please keep an eye on the events section of the ALEI website for information on upcoming trainings.
ALEI specialists and partners have created an ongoing series of blog posts on the partner blog for FSMA updates. The full series is available here.
Food Safety Videos:
- Water Testing Requirments and the FSMA Produce Safety Rule (28:21) by Nicole Cook. March 2019.
- Worker Trainings and the FSMA Produce Safety Rule (18:19) by Nicole Cook. February 2019.
- I’m Qualified Exempt from the FSMA Produce Safety Rule – Now What? (36:13) by Sarah Everhart. January 2019
- How to: Effectively and Efficiently Train Your Workers (47:11) by Dr. Shauna Henley. May 2020.
- Water Risk Assessment & Inspection of Water Distribution Systems (41:05) by Carol Allen, June 2020.
- How to: Get A Handle On Water Quality & Criteria (46.37) by Carol Allen, July 2020.
- How to: Manage Wildlife (41:53) by Dr. Angela Ferelli, August 2020.
Food Safety & Recall Readiness Presentations:
- Food Safety Outbreak Response Presentation
- FSMA Presentation
- Good Agricultural Practices and Pre-Harvest Contamination Presentation
Operation Specific Food Safety Preventative Measures Checklists: