Owning Rural Land in Maryland
2022 Ag & Environmental Law Conference:
- Challenges of Hemp Over the Past Seven Years and Into the Future
- 2022 Ag and Environmental Review and What to Look Out For in 2023
- Keynote Panel: 2023 Farm Bill
- Environmental Justice in Maryland: How Recent Changes to State Law Impact Equity
- Handling Food Waste- Organic Waste Reduction, Diversion, & Rescue Efforts in Maryland
Closed Captions can be downloaded by clicking here
2022 August Webinar Series:
Agritourism involves people visiting an agricultural operation for recreational purposes. Learn about the different legal issues that should be considered when starting an agritourism business.
- Farm Brewery Law – Part 1 (9:22) by Mayhah Suri. May 2016.
- Farm Brewery Law – Part 2 (10:08) by Mayhah Suri. May 2016.
- Agritourism Liability Waiver (9:26) by Ashley Ellixson. July 2015.
- Limiting Liability in an Agritourism Operation (8:17) by Paul Goeringer. July 2015.
Aquaculture involves breeding, raising, and harvesting fish, shellfish, and aquatic plants. Learn more about the intersection of aquaculture and agricultural law.
- Transferring A Commercial Shellfish Aquaculture Lease: How To Do It And Why (18:23) by Elissa M. Torres-Soto. September 2021.
Business entities involve the setup of agricultural businesses. These videos explain the different business structures utilized in Maryland agriculture.
Contracts are one way of creating an agreement between people. Learn how to write and use contracts to protect your farm and manage risk.
The agricultural community has had to quickly adapt to the legal and other impacts of the global COVID-19 pandemic. The ALEI team has been working to develop resources to help address some of these issues. H-2A Visa Worker Program & COVID-19 (53:52) by Sarah Everhart, Nicholas Fiorello, Bryen Blecher, Carlos Turcios. May 2020.
H-2A Visa Worker Program & COVID-19 (53:52) by Sarah Everhart, Nicholas Fiorello, Bryen Blecher, Carlos Turcios. May 2020.
Farmland is crucial to agriculture, yet leasing land can be complex. Learn more about the leasing process and various leasing situations.
Farm Succession Planning:
Farm Succession planning refers to how a farm owner can transfer assets and responsibilities in different situations, including the death of relatives, changes in family structure, or handing off the farm to a new generation. Topics include estate planning and succession planning and the legal requirements in different planning situations.
Food Safety and the Food Safety Modernization Act:
The Food Safety Modernization Act significantly changes how the federal government handles foodborne illness with important consequences for farmer practices. Learn what these changes are and how they may impact your farm.
Learn how to protect your property by understanding your land and your legal rights and limitations.
Videos explaining laws and regulations associated with fulltime workers, seasonal workers, and interns.
Videos explaining statutes, regulations, and court rulings, all of which are forms of law.
Liability describes who is responsible for the cost of loss or injury in certain situations. Learn how liability can affect your farm operation and how to manage your risk.
Livestock management can be impacted by many types of laws, including animal health and welfare, feed directives, and business practice laws.
Explanations of Maryland’s Ag Water Law and discharge permits.